Sunday, January 29, 2006

Back in town

Here we go...

Sorry, just can't get that 'Stillers tune out of my head. Apologize for the dearth of recent postings. Was in St. Petersburg on business last week. Stayed this wonderful place - the Renaissance Vinoy. It's this old Spanish architecture hotel right on the water. Driving into St. Pete's for the first time I felt like I was in another country/world/time with all these old, stucco villa buildings dotting the landscape.

To give you some perspective on the Vinoy, some of the best time I spent involved waiting out the couple hours before I was scheduled to fly out, sitting on this big old airy porch that overlooks the Tampa Bay. Just watching the boats, breathing in the fresh Florida air and seeing the palm trees sway in the breeze. Now mind you, it was 19 degrees early that morning in Erie when I logged on to check messages, but even not in contrast to that - the Vinoy has a killer porch!

Aside from those relaxing hours, there was plenty of conversation, networking, business and drinking to keep me busy during my stay. A copious amount of drinking was done by all. Much credit goes to the company that hosted this event and their VP of sales who really made sure everything was top shelf. The bars were stocked with Dewers, Crown Royal, Grey Goose, you name it. And the stuff got used. Don't want to get too much into work stuff, but let's just say this was one of the best events I've ever attended in terms of the level of partying. Almost everyone seemed on board with the program - so it really made for some good times and good talks.

Arrived back in town Friday night to find my wife and neighborhood gang meeting me at the airport in a stretch limo, and was immediately handed a martini upon entering. So here's how my Friday stretched: Drinking a bloody Mary on the practice tee at the Vinoy at 7:30 a.m. and doing shots and leaving Skeeters in a limo at 1 a.m. Yes, life was good... And yes, I love my mates in the Glenhood.

Got back down to earth yesterday. A beautiful day in Erie. It may have been only 40 degrees, but with the sun, it felt every bit as warm as St. Pete's. I watched the kids play in the driveway while soaking up some 'rays most of the afternoon. Then, at night, saw this really cheesy Martin Lawrence movie - Rebound (a basketball version of The Bad News Bears). As bad as the movie was, it was something the family could watch together and all get something out of. Kudos to my wife on the pick. (Did I ever tell you I cry during almost any movie - which is probably why I generally avoid watching them. I even got teary-eyed during a couple of the obvious and contrived sentimental scenes in this flick. Oh well,) off to bed and early and up early on this Sunday morn.

Hope all goes well with everybody, and I'm going to try and catch up on a few things today.

Cheers.

Ralph

1 comment:

Ralph said...

Yes, it's been a good run.