Wednesday, January 04, 2006

JoePa

Go JoePa. I can't believe the Nittany Lions kept me up until 1 a.m. last night before downing the FSU Crimi'noles in the Orange Bowl. An entertaining college football game. And I stress college - mainly because the kicking was so-o-o bad, which is always a halmark of college football if you ask me. I shouldn't say bad. It was mainly mediocre, but you had like four missed field goals and an extra point - the only reason it wasn't bad was because they didn't miss by that much.

So, I am getting a late start today.

JoePa though proved once again he is among the greatest. He does things JoePa's way and in the long run, they prove to be right. How about him sending his freshman kicker out there on second down? After the offense had just got a first down and the poor kid had already missed two shots at winning the game. JoePa never flinched, never doubted the kid. The announcer made some great comment about being a college coach being more than about football, being about molding kids for life, and by not giving up on the kid, and in fact, showing supreme confidence in him and sending him out there are second down and sitting his offense on the bench, and letting the kid win the game. Way to go Joe! Although I'll admit I thought the kick was no good from the camera angle (and I was pretty tired) and shut my eyes in fear of having to see that kid after he missed a third kick.

The other great thing about the game was the hype of this "great friendship" between JoePa and Bowden. Personally, I can't see why the two would even like each other. If you ask me, Bowden is a smooth-talking used car salesmen, whose program and what it stands for is at the opposite end of the spectrum from PSU. Maybe I'm prejudice as a PA resident, but come on, the Crimi'Noles didn't earn that moniker for nothing. Bowden put it best during that interview they showed with him and Joe sitting together. "Joe is the kind of guy you can trust." I'm not sure what that meant, but first off, when a smooth talker like Bowden starts throwin' around the word trust - well, it gets me a little nervous. And then after Bowden went off about how great Joe was and how you could "trust " him (said it like three times), Joe just laughed and said nothing about Bowden. Right on.

Finally, I'd like to congratulate my neighbor John Garhart (do a search on Garhart and you have to register, but it's pretty painless and a great site for local news), on his appointment as district judge. A great guy - hard working and very informed. Should be a fine addition to the local bench.

Cheers.

Ralph

1 comment:

Ralph said...

Wow, going back and reading some older posts - this is certainly dated.