Monday, January 16, 2006

NFL Dynasties

My son got a book recently from his school library discussing the greatest dynasties in NFL history. This was always a popular term paper option in my high school/college years. I think I took it once or twice. One time, I remember I did a historical perspective on UCLA basketball, without really getting into good rhetoric on why they were such a great dynasty.

In light of yesterday's NFL playoff games, I got to thinking about Steelers' history and after doing some research (I use the term lightly) on my favorite NFL history site, I came to the conclusion that, from my perspective, the 1972-1979 Steelers are unsurpassed as an NFL dynasty.

My perspective does not include a very thorough recollection of the Packers of the 1960s (or anyone before that of course), as I was born in 1967. The other dynasties I'm comparing the Steelers against are the Cowboys late 1960s, 1970s and early 1980s; Raiders, late 1960s through mid-1970s (I count the Plunkett era as a separate entity because there were at least two down years in between), Bills of late 1980s and early 1990s, and 49ers of early 1980s through 1990s, and Dolphins of early 1970s. I probably should include the Rams and Vikings of the late 60s and 70s, but neither won a Super Bowl - of course neither did the Bills. But the Bills at least almost won one, and they made four straight. Plus I'm a Bills fan.

Here's my rankings.
1. Steelers - Dominant team that Steelers fans will tell you could have won 6 consecutive Super Bowls, but for a few bad breaks. From what I can tell, they might be right.
2. 49ers - I think they won five Super Bowls and really sustained greatness over a long period of time. Had one down year, but that was a strike year and I think it threw Bill Walsh off.
3. Cowboys - Probably had the next longest period of greatness, under Coach Tom Landry. Like the 49ers (Montana, Young, Garcia), Cowboys' dynasty extended through three quarterbacks (Meredith, Staubach, and Danny White - no, Survivor Gary Hogeboom brought an end to the dynasty). Cowboys kept running up against really good teams too - Redskins, Vikings, and Rams - in the NFC and won their share of games. Couldn't beat the Steelers in the big game - but played 'um close both times and did manage to win a couple Bowls when the Steelers were out of the picture.
4. Dolphins - narrowly beat out the Raiders, who were better longer. But these Kiick, Czonka, Morris, Griese, Warfield, No-name D teams dominated and won a pair of Super Bowls. Of course, they went undefeated in 1972.
5. Raiders - Only won one Super Bowl. Kept losing in the playoffs to the Steelers and Dolphins, and even lost to the Packers in the second Super Bowl. But these Lamonica and Stabler-led teams had a mean streak, a good o-line and played a lot of dominant football over a lot of years. Also, they dominated the 1976 Super Bowl vs. overmatched Vikings.
6. Bills - Alright, maybe they weren't that great compared with these other dynasties. But they were damn good for six years, appearing in four Super Bowls and five AFC Championship tilts. Pretty much had the same core of players for six years - maybe last time you'll see that in the NFL. Patriots have won three Super Bowls in four years, but because of the revolving door policy of the league these days, from my perspective, they can't compete with these old school dynasties.

Honorable mention (or teams I could have also researched, but didn't have time) - aforementioned Vikings and Rams, Redskins under Gibbs the first time, Bears under Ditka, Giants under Parcells.

Cheers.

Ralph

No comments: