Friday, January 06, 2006

Quiet Night

Seems like a quiet night so far down here at Ralphie's. Week was rather long and odd. Of course, you had those two marvelous football games early in the week, which messed up my sleep. Then, my son's sleep got messed up somehow, which messed up my sleep further. Had to slam some serious Joe (and I don't mean I beat my kid) just to get through the day. But things are weighing a bit heavy now, with no word yet on my aforementioned (couple posts previous) friend's health. Today, I just heard today that a gentlemen who works in my industry (a rather small group of us) died in a fall while out of the country. I guess I'm certainly not the first person to have mortality thoughts in the wake of disasters befalling those around them. We also lost a 72-year-old neighbor about two weeks ago.

Moving right along to more uplifting topics - we are hosting a birthday party for my 7-year-old tomorrow, and it's supposed to be a sled-riding party. We are sure hoping for some snow, however. Can you believe it's Jan. 6 (my brother's birthday) in Erie, PA and we are struggling to get snow on the ground? It's been like 40-50 degrees for the past two weeks. Makes you think there might be something to this global warming thing... oh, wait, I promised to be positive - what the fuck, I'm in a negative mood.

My recently deceased neighbor (sure, let's bring out the ghosts) used to slam my wife for her belief in global warming. He was a dyed-in-the-wool Republican and said that Democrats were ignorant and uneducated and that global warming was an invention to gain support from women and mothers. He also called the Democrats "the party of the hoods," and after reading a bit of their history, with Aaron Burr and his lot stirring things up in New York City, you can see at least where he was coming from with that...

That's all for now. Heading out for dinner I believe. Could end up back here for drinks. Going to a place called - well it used to be the Ali Babba on West Lake Road. I guess the chef from the Aviation Club bought it. Does that sound right?


Over-and-out
Ralph

No comments: