Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Conservative Republicans?

Here's a great column that appeared on the editorial pages of today's Erie Times-News. It discusses the alleged, or lack thereof, conservativeness of today's Republican administration. It makes a point that I have been arguing for four or five years now. That is, our current federal administration spends money like a bunch of liberals - except the only people that benefit from it are Bush's cronies (okay, I added that last part in myself.) Then, there is the whole foreign policy thing. I thought conservatives were basically isolationists. Why are we in Iraq? And so forth. Bush is nothing more than a crooked liberal, and I'm looking forward to the next election.

Ralph

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ralph:

Both your comments and the original column were right on point. As a former Republican I can't believe the Bush adminstration calls itself conservative.

Conservatives used to believe in individual rights. (Like privacy - are you reading this Alberto? Or have you been too busy listening to my cell phone calls?)

They also used to believe in small government (not record deficits) and a strong dollar (not a 1/3 decline in value against the Euro over the last 5 years).

I could go on, but I don't want a cavity search next time I fly.

Ralph, keep up the good work, your writings have been very entertaining. I'll buy you a beer (or Southern Comfort) next time I see you out.

Regards,
Tony Sciarrino

Ralph said...

Tony:

Good to hear from you. It's good to hear other conservatives in the anti-Bush movement. Of course, those who walk in lock-step with the Republican party likely blame this sort of fractitious - (I don't think that's a word but don't have my dictionary with me)behavior for the downfall of the Democratic party. But still, when the Emporer has no clothes...

Cheers.