Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Buffalo Welcomes T.O. video

I don't know about you, and I already heard Chico Borman on 1260 trying to steer away from T.O. conversation, but I can't get enough. Finally, I think I've found the definitive video that sums up my feelings as a Bills fan about getting T.O. It's an ESPN piece in which the host interviews three Buffalo media types - Tim Russert's son, an AM radio talk show host, and some writer from Buffalo. They sum it up beautifully: Owens' signing has increased interest in the team, he seems to have given ticket sales a boost, and what, the hell, it can't hurt, we haven't made the playoffs in 10 years anyway. Yes, and then two of them go off about what a great town Buffalo is because the bars don't close until 4 a.m. As Bill Simmons would put it, "Ladies and gentleman, the 2010 Buffalo Bills."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, they're going for more of a "freakshow" approach than trying to create a long-term, competitive football team?

I like it.

More teams should take this approach. After all, the name of the game in the NFL is about selling tickets, not necessarily winning games (although that certainly helps).

More teams should also "go for it" more frequently on fourth down, but that's an entirely different topic.

Ralph said...

Yes, the freakshow has come to town. Reportedly, the Bills COO/GM Russ Brandon has a marketing background, and if nothing else, the Bills have done a fairly good job selling tickets the past few years for a mediocre team. Hey, like I said, as long as the bars are open until four, it makes it easier to forget things, I guess.