Sunday, May 07, 2006

Wonder Boys

I finally got around to watching Wonder Boys. It's marvellous. One of the finest pieces of writing I've seen in a very long long time. Bravo.

The movie was based on the novel by Michael Chabon, who also wrote a book called The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, which is sitting in front of me right now. It was a gift from Stephen Hardy, editor of a magazine called Lightwave.

I used to work for Stephen years ago. I believe he enjoyed the book, which gives me good energy going into it.

I did take a crack at it once, but I've never given it a proper chance. I guess I just had to wait till now.

Here's the first line: "At the beginning of the summer I had lunch with my father, the gangster, who was in town for the weekend to transact some of his vague business..."

Sounds promising; I'll let you know how it goes. I'll pass it along to you when I'm done, Ralph.

Happy Sunday,

DocTorDee

1 comment:

Ralph said...

Happy Sunday indeed. Glad you enjoyed the flick. Is the "Mysteries of Pittsburgh" an anthology or novel?

Cheers.