Thursday, April 09, 2009

Aleister Crowley

Prompted by a recent meeting I had with a man named "Crowley," I decided to do a bit of research this morning on the infamous Aleister Crowley-the renowned English occultist. About the only thing I knew of him was that Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page had bought his house at some point. Man, is there a lot more to him than that!

Raised by Puritanical parents, he totally rebelled against all that after his Dad (who he was apparently very close to) died when he was 11. At one point, the papers billed Crowley as "The Most Wicked Man Alive" or something akin to that. Apparently he was fairly wealthy, very hedonistic, charismatic, and perhaps even a genius. All these qualities led him to some big trouble.

In one documentary, he was credited as being a forerunner of the hippie movement. Of course, he really did practice several forms of black magic - to what end, I'm not certain. But, he was also a fairly prolific writer, so I guess I could figure it out if I really wanted to.

Anyhow, if you want to see something spooky, check this thing out. It's The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage (Translated by S.L. MacGregor Mathers in 1900), which is the ancient text that Crowley used to reportedly summon evil spirits into the mansion that Page later bought. Legend has it that this book proscribes some sort of six-month ritual that Crowley abandoned half-way through, resulting in the house being haunted by these evil spirits, who were supposed to be made to cow-tow to his guardian angel - if Crowley had reached that part of the ritual. Let me know if you have the guts to read something like this, because it started to freak me out.

Cheers.

Ralph

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure what parts are freaking you out. I've looked at this text before and it's mostly cabbalah (q'aballah) magic.

One thing for sure: words and language are at the center of magickal practice, and if you want to summon demons and cause harm, you can certainly use magick to do so.

The problem is wishing them away once you've summoned them. You had better have your spells right.

Ralph said...

I am just kind of scared of reading anything that enables me to summon demons...

Anonymous said...

I guess. The writing in that particular book is in a Biblical style; I view it as pretty tame.

There is certainly more potent language for demon-summoning than that stuff.

Crowley certainly had his demons, which modern psychology tells us are internal rather than external.

My believe is that there are gods out there---spiritual forces with which we can connect---that are beyond our ability to control and comprehend.

Once we internalize (or channel) them, we make them real and give them force on the material plane.

Actually, if you're interested, you should read more about the Golden Dawn.