Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Flat Tires

Loved the quote in today's paper along the lines of "first the snow, then the winds, when are the locusts coming?" It was included in some article about how bad the potholes are around town - and they're bad. I've been enveloped by a few craters already, and I think the roads have only started to show them in the past week. I can't say for sure of the potholes had anything to do with it, but yesterday, I got two flat tires on two cars, almost simultaneously. Here's how it went down:

I've been working out of Starbucks, Borders, etc. for almost a week now, as the wind storms knocked out my phone lines last week and they have yet to be restored, so I have no DSL - and an Internet connection is pretty vital to my business (technology newsletter publisher). Before I left yesterday morning, I noticed the perhaps the pressure in the drivers' side rear tire was low, but let it go and figured I'd check it later. I ended driving farther than I usually do, as I wanted to try out the coffee/art shop on Presque Isle. Great atmosphere and Internet connection, but no cell phone service, I drove up to Borders. Leaving Borders around five, I noticed again that the tire looked low. But then I also noticed I was parked in a hole, so I dismissed it. I'm driving down Peach Street when my phone rings. My wife says she has a flat in a parking lot at 11th and French, down by my daughter's dance studio. As soon as I hang up, I woman behind me at a light starts honking her horn and sticks her head out the window to yell that my tire is going flat. I'm about two blocks from home. I thank her (she really was a big help) and drive home to drop off the car. I grab my mother-in-law's van, who is at the house watching the baby, and head down to change the tire on the van.

Now, several things worked out well in this scenario, if you can believe it. That woman (who really was a big help) telling me about the flat caused me to stop home, which enabled me to change my clothes. This was important because changing the van tire really was a bitch. I practically needed to stand on the wrench to loosen the lugnuts, and the spare was practically corroded onto its placeholder. Anyhow, it took me at least and hour to execute the change and then put air in the spare, but we managed to get home safely. Where, of course, my other flat was waiting. Had a much easier time with that change, part of the reason being no doubt that I was in my driveway and could work at my liesure.

So, I'm currently driving around with two mini-tires on my vehicles just waiting to shipwreck in another pothole.




Anonymous said...

that's a rough day
in the city by the bay
should have called AAA

Ralph said...

Not a bad freestyle Haiku.