Monday, January 19, 2009

Congrats to Steelers

For the second time in four years, the Stillers are headed to the Super Bowl, which is pretty impressive, especially considering my Buffalo Bills haven't even been to the playoffs in 10 years - since the halcyon days of Wade Phillips... Anyhow, this post is about the Stillers... I was watching the game with a lifelong Stiller fan friend of mine who made the comment, "I didn't expect it to be this ugly." I'm not sure what he was expecting but after seeing the Ravens and Stillers play a handful of times this year - including once against each other- I was certainly expecting ugly.

I love this comment blogger Adrew Perloff made in regards to the Ravens past two games(against the Stillers and Titans): "Everyone says they love watching smashmouth football. Really? All the head-hunting and injury timeouts made the Ravens' three-game postseason nunwatchable. By the end of the Titans and Steelers games, the trainers had spent as much time on the field as some of the players. There was no flow and very few memorable plays." (Here's a link to the rest of Perloff's excellent column.)

From my standpoint, here were the memorable plays:
1. Ray Lewis' excellent tackle that forced the Willie Parker fumble in the first half
2. The Stillers fourth-down stop that immediatley followed that fumble.
3. Holmes' great TD catch and run.
4. Sweed's drop
5. Polaumalu's interception

That's five memorable plays, not too bad. But, there sure were a lot of ugly-looking plays.

Anyhow, congrats to the 'Stillers. The game against 'Zona should be played in better weather in Tampa, so maybe we'll see some offense, or at least a few sacks of Warner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both the Cards and the Steelers made a lot of good plays in the Super Bowl. The Steelers just made the final good play.

A game for the history books, that's for sure.

Ralph said...

Yeah, great, I missed the damn thing on my flight to Belgium. Some day, I'll download it to my iPod and watch it I guess.