Sunday, June 18, 2006

Brothers Grimm

I watched the Brothers Grimm movie by Terry Gilliam last night. I'd give it a B-minus. It was great stylistically, but the plot was definitely muddy.

Eleanor Ringel Gillsepie hits the nail on the head with her review.

Now, I'm definitely a big Gilliam fan. Here are some of his titles (from imdb.com):

It's... the Monty Python Story (1999) (TV)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) (screenplay)
Parrot Sketch Not Included: Twenty Years of Monty Python (1989) (TV) (sketches)
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988) (screenplay)
Brazil (1985) (screenplay)
The Crimson Permanent Assurance (1983) (written by)
The Meaning of Life (1983) (written by)
Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl (1982) (written by)
Time Bandits (1981) (written by)
Life of Brian (1979) (written by)
Jabberwocky (1977) (screenplay)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

He's directed some of my favorite movies, so I was a bit disappointed when my friend Carlos and I had to stop and piece together the plot three or four times during the movie.

In other words, I'm glad I didn't pay $8 to see it in the theater, because swallowing all of it whole (like the insane horse from the movie), would have definitely been painful.

Watching it on video, however, is a bit more manageable. I actually want to watch it again now that I can move from a "plot level" to an "aesthetic level" interpretation.

Happy Sunday!

DocTorDeeeeeee

No comments: