Friday, February 23, 2007

Game of Shadows

Started reading this incredible book about about the Barry Bonds' steroid scandal. It's been pretty well publicized, and I think the two authors got into some sort of trouble for being in possession of leaked Grand Jury testimony, but they really do a great job detailing the culture that led to this tremendous abuse of steroids in baseball. I'm about halfway through, and I'm pretty convinced that Sosa's, McGwire's, and Bonds' records, well they're tarnished to say the least. Should we pull them from the record books? I don't know. I guess, when you really think about it, Ruth and Mantle, for example, probably would have turned to steroids had they been as readily available back in the day as they were to these three guys I just mentioned. I'm not saying they were victims, but they were just playing the game, a big money one at that. It's the same game that track and field athletes, as well as football players (less so now I think) have been playing for years. Remember Lyle Alzado - the guy went from nobody to All-Pro defensive end, thanks to steroids and then died of brain cancer.

All in a life's work.

Ralph

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ralph, I'd like to know if you are a blogger on performance enhancing substances. I mean, you went from zero blogs for two weeks and now you have three in a row. Come on...

Ralph said...

Syl:

I has traveling pretty solidly there for awhile had pay per minute Internet access most of the time....Budget constraints, y'know..and stay away from the oven.pl