Sunday, January 08, 2006

Sunday, almost bloody Sunday

"Today I like the Giants and Cinci." That's from an e-mail I just read that was sent to me around 11 this morning. I guess I don't need to ask the sender how he's doing right now. I missed most of both games - and I'll get to reasons why. But I did see enough of the Steelers game to realize that Carson Palmer was injured on his first pass - a long bomb completion - and knocked out for the game. The site of Jon Kitna taking the field had to be reassuring to any Steelers fan...

My day was pretty shitty as well. First off, I missed my favorite priest, father John Detisch of Sacred Heart, and had to suffer through... well,let's just say, the usual Catholic Mass. Fr. John is definitely unusual and always gets my Sunday's started off right. He sets a good tempo. The usual Catholic fare tends to annoy mostly, rather than inspire, and for some reason leads to great conflicts between my wife and I. Today was no exception. We completed the day not on speaking terms.

All I really wanted to do was lie around, watch some football, post to my blog and maybe play with the kids. She somehow had the idea that I should be, well, I don't know, Sunday's a day of rest, isn't it?

Maggie was so pissed, she even turned off the Steelers game and I didn't argue. I did spend about two hours assembling this killer Spider Man race track my son got at his birthday party yesterday. As soon as he got it, my eyes lit up. It's the bomb. It's got a loop-de-loop and an AC adapter. There are several of these squeeze control tracks floating around for cheap that use "D" batteries and generally suck because of poor quality parts - and well, the D batteries should tell you all there is to know. This one has the little things that make it a quality toy - little pieces for connecting the tracks better and the adapter, of course. It rocks. I even gave up hitting balls at the golf dome to play with it after putting it together. And it was worth it. It's got two speed buttons and you have to hit the "turbo" just right before hitting the loop, and then let off it quickly or you find your car flying halfway across the living room. Great fun. Especially when my 4-year-old takes her cracks at it. Oh well, it makes a nice alternative to Need for Speed.

To sum up my day, my wife actually yelled at me for not going to hit balls at the golf dome.

Also, I want to thank everyone that stopped by Ralph's this weekend, both online and physically. We need your support to make this venture a success. Please keep coming back.

Cheers.

Ralph

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ralph, I enjoyed spending part of my birthday Sat. at your Place sipping on the Francis Ford Coppola Merlot. Just remember to keep those bottles with real corks on their side or they'll dry out and let air in, thus spoiling your nectar. The Version 1.0 of Ralph's Place is coming along nicely despite what Koko and Maggie say. Looking forward to actually getting on the Foosball table next time and then maybe some bocce in the yard by spring.

Later that evening I enjoyed a great 10oz. filet smothered with Portabellas at the Walnut Creek Grill. My cold was hanging heavy at the time but a nice Shiraz from Down Under, the meat and good friends made it worth not staying home. So far WCG surpasses Greg's Place as my fav. for filet.

We need to set a date for Theodore's and the crab cakes.

Dar, KOS (King of Sweden)

Ralph said...

Yes, is Chef Simonsen (I think that's the spelling) still out at Walnut Creek? I've had a few good meals/times with friends out there. Yes, we're still a bit sparse, but that's part of the whole movie set feel. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the excess carpet as I type...

Cheers